As the Covid-19 school closings hit last year a new term, “zoom bombing,” was quickly coined. This is when uninvited participants enter a Zoom©, Google Meet©, or similar remote class session and cause disruption. This can happen when a student intentionally shares the class invite code or it becomes unintentionally known to others.
SchoolTube Channels are the Foundation
Now there is a way to better prevent the chance for your K12 remote classes to become “zoom bombed” by using the private channel feature of SchoolTube’Virtual Classroom. With SchoolTube teachers can create unlimited channels, for example, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, etc and if desired, give them a private status. Students with SchoolTube accounts can then be added to the channel as members or contributors. The result is that only those students (or other teachers/staff) who are members of the private channel can open it and view its video content. Students can subscribe to their teachers’ channels and open them from a dropdown menu.
Private Setting Blocks Unwanted Access
Now, layer in Virtual Classroom, a remote classroom platform integrated within SchoolTube channels. When activated on a teacher account, each channel created by the teacher can launch a unique virtual classroom session. Under a private channel, only members can 1) gain access to the channel and 2) join the virtual classroom session. Upon opening the channel, students will be prompted to join a class if one is in session. No need to share invite codes, passwords, or links. Channel membership is the gatekeeper. Note: Where there is an evil will, there is always a way, no system is full proof but the added layer of channel privacy tied to a user’s personal account makes unauthorized access much less likely as it would be easy to pinpoint who shared credentials.
Watch How it Works!
Key Virtual Classroom Differentiators
- Persistent Files & Tools
- Teachers can add files, documents, whiteboards, videos, and notes to a “room” and those materials stay in the room even after its closed. This allows teachers to refer back to past material and have finger-tip access to important teaching materials.
- Automatic Recording to SchoolTube Channel
- As noted above, Virtual Classroom is integrated into each channel (upon subscription) and when a session is recorded, the recording is automatically saved to the channel from which the session originated. Now downloading from one source and uploading to another a one-stop solution.
- Public & Private Session Options. T
- Teachers have the opportunity to create both private and public sessions. There are many ways to use the channel feature of SchoolTube to support in-class and distance learning needs.
- High-Quality Video Play
- When sharing a video, students are watching directly from SchoolTube, not as a desktop share from the teacher. This means the audio and video quality are as high as if they were watching the video directly.
Bonus Info! Watch the Virtual Classroom Case Study to Explore all the Benefits!
In addition to very tight privacy options, SchoolTube Virtual Classroom also offers these unique benefits over Zoom-like systems.
If you, your school or district is searching for the optimum solution for K12 remote classroom support, SchoolTube Virtual Classroom is the solution!
Sign up today and get started!