SchoolTube has active users in over 70,000 K12 schools across the United States and internationally. Teachers from all grades, subjects, roles, and school types use SchoolTube to support their in-classroom and remote classroom needs.
The Teachers Guide to Getting Started on SchoolTube is designed to answer your questions and help you maximize and enjoy SchoolTube. Let’s begin!
Is SchoolTube Free?
Yes, the basic version of SchoolTube is free, supported by school-appropriate ads and sponsors. Display ads will appear around the video player and 1 video ad may play before each video, video ads are skippable after 5 seconds. Ad-free options are available. SchoolTube is free for K12 schools in the United States, Canda, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.
What services are included in the free version?
With the exception of our Virtual Classroom service, and the Powtoon & Wochit apps, all services below are included in the FREE version of SchoolTube, including:
- Unlimited video uploads, hosting & sharing
- Unlimited personalized channels & playlists
- Automatic English captions and downloadable transcriptions
- Shareable video links and embed code
- YouTube© video linking
- Selfie & screen, webcam, and audio recording tools
- Quiz creation app with analytics and score export
- Video and channel analytics tools
- Video thumbnail management
- Channel administration tools: thumbnail, members, contributors, privacy settings
How do teachers use SchoolTube?
Most commonly teachers use SchoolTube to create or upload and share lesson videos. Teachers and students also find videos created by other teachers to help with their teaching and learning journies. Teachers use SchoolTube instead of YouTube©, which is often blocked or restricted in their schools. SchoolTube is also used in school departments such as HR, PR & Communications, Instructional Technology, Principal’s Office, Library, and more. Watch our School Life on SchoolTube video to see for yourself.
How do I create an account?
There are two ways to create an account on SchoolTube: Using one of the available single sign-on apps or by directly creating a username and password on SchoolTube.
- Single Sign-On. The easiest way to create an account on SchoolTube is by using one of the available single sign-on apps shown below, however, this requires that your school IT team complete a few simple integration steps. Once completed all teachers and students at your school can log in to SchoolTube using their credentials from the preferred app. Most school IT teams will support SchoolTube so simply send them a request asking them to activate SchoolTube. Direct them our Single Sign-On Page for more details. Clever users: Teachers at schools using Clever can typically request SchoolTube from the Clever library directly
- Create a Username & Password. (Use this option if your school does not support one of the single sign-on apps) Go to this page:https://www.schooltube.com/schooltuberegistration/sign-up Enter your school’s full name. Select it when it appears, then complete the requested information. Always use your school-issued email address when registering. Following this, you will receive an email from SchoolTube requesting you to create a password, after which you will be logged into the system. If your school is not found, you can request your school the be added to SchoolTube using this form*: Add My School. Becoming a Moderator. The last step is for SchoolTube to review and approve you as a Moderator. (Note, the SSO option above provides automatic Moderator approval.) Moderators have been verified as teachers who are actively teaching/working in K12 institutions. Once your account has been approved with Moderator status you will receive a second confirmation email and from that point forward you have full access to the above features.
Can my students create SchoolTube accounts?
Students do not need accounts to view their teacher’s videos, only if they need to upload videos or participate in an ad-free program. Students 13-years or older can create SchoolTube accounts. Students less than 13-years of age require parental or their school’s permission to create an account. Students have access to the same features above, but their videos can not be published without teacher/moderator approval.
Where can I find training materials for SchoolTube?
SchoolTube provides training videos for all our services. Please refer to the Home Page menu bar where under the HELP dropdown you will find links to the SchoolTube Quick Start Guide and User Tutorial Videos. Also found in the menu bar are links to the Virtual Classroom Quick Start Guide, Virtual ClassroomTraining Center, Powtoon Training Center & Wochit Training Center.
What video recording tools are provided on SchoolTube?
SchoolTube offers several free and paid video creation tools as follows:
- Selfie & Screen, Camera Audio Recording Apps (FREE!) Watch the tutorials and training videos.
- Powtoon & Wochit Video Creation Apps
How can I remove ads?
SchoolTube offers an ad-free plan for both individual teachers and schools. The individual teacher plan is $39/year and school/district plans are $2/student/year with available volume, term and bundling discounts. Refer to our Ad-Free Page to learn more.
Does SchoolTube offer a desk-top sharing app like Zoom© or Google Meet©?
Yes! SchoolTube’s Virtual Classroom app is an amazing remote class management platform that enables teachers to host up to 100 students per session with robust features for sharing presentations, videos, quizzes, breakroom rooms, recording & sharing sessions, and much more. Virtual Classroom can be set up on individual teacher accounts ($150/year) or under a school/district-wide plan.